tiistai 16. elokuuta 2011

UKKO YLIJUMALA

Today I realized summer is ending. And it made me feel sad. As long as I can remember I have loved summer. I love light, sunshine and nightless nights. I love that green color, warm wind and the smell of rain. Especially I love thunder.

Some Finnish pagans think that Ukko Ylijumala is the highiest and most powerfull god. Some pagans think that he is not. Of course he is "the highiest" because he is the god of sky and thunder. But is he more powerfull than the others? Imagine a warm day. Not the first one, not the second one. It has been warm for a while. Suddenly you notice that the light disappears. You can´t see the beautiful light blue sky anymore. Dark gray clouds cover the sun. Birds stop singing and wind stops blowing. Silence. Imagine those few seconds when every single animal and every single plant is waiting. Then  it starts. The first flash rips the sky in two parts. You can hear the noice, the magnificent explosion. You start to count seconds.... is it coming or going away? Do we have any other god who could do anything like that? In my opinion we don´t.

Some people are afraid of thunder. Some people are not. It´s quite understandable to be afraid of fire which the flash has lighted. Maybe that is why Ukko Ylijumala has been very scary and pagans don´t want to exasperate him. Ukko Ylijumala also makes the rain so if your living depends on agriculture it is not very wise to make him angry.

I am not afraid of thunder or Ukko Ylijumala. But I don´t resist against him. I don´t go sailing when it´s thunder. I don´t go under a tree or climb to a lamp-post. Every time I see flashing and hear the noice of thunder I feel humble and I just enjoy of the power of Ukko Ylijumala. In fact...I have not even sacrificed for him... I don´t need to.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti